This is an expert guide when it comes to playing progressive jackpot pokies, a pastime that has been incredibly popular over the past few years thanks to the explosion of online casino. We know that playing video pokies can be highly exciting and we’re always pumped about the latest releases which allow us to have a brand new pokies experience as part of the package. However, there’s nothing quite like playing for a huge progressive jackpot at your favourite casino to provide a bit of wow factor.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that progressive jackpot pokies are won on a regular basis. While it’s always an outside chance that you will strike it rich and land a huge bounty, the bottom line is that a certain customer is going to trigger the jackpot and we’re not talking about someone betting for large amounts every time. Nevertheless, regular casino pokie play will naturally set you up with an increased chance of scooping a magnificent progressive jackpot.
The difference between a regular video pokie and an online progressive jackpot pokie is that while both offer you the chance to win modest returns on your game of choice, only the latter has a bigger pot which is constantly topped up by players from all around the globe. The pokie game might be on a network across several casino operators although some jackpots are exclusive to one pokie site.
Naturally, a large pool of players frequently chipping in means that the totals can go through the roof. The jackpot is triggered randomly at any time, usually when players have won a payline, which then launches them into the bonus game that will decide if they’re worthy of the collective winnings.
Serial jackpot pokie fanatics and first-time players alike can tackle these intriguing pokie games at some of the New Zealand's top progressive jackpot casino sites. Want to enjoy progressive pokies with the chance to win a life-changing jackpot? Check out this complete guide to the best online progressive jackpot pokies and where you can find them all across the United Kingdom and beyond!
How We Review the Best Progressive Jackpot Pokies
There are hundreds of jackpot pokies out there in New Zealand right now. The jackpots don’t sleep and, as soon as the latest prize has been won, the new jackpot amount starts to build up immediately which always allows customers to play for a life-changing amount of cash. But how do you decide the best progressive jackpot pokie when there’s so much choice available?
Here at PokieSource.co.nz, we have a team of New Zealand casino experts who are able to point you in the right direction when it comes to finding the right jackpot pokie game. Our experts are avid online casino players themselves and that means they are able to create a shortlist of progressive jackpot games based on their own experience.
Essentially, we judge a New Zealand progressive jackpot pokie on different pieces of criteria. We naturally need the pokie game to be available with a respected operator, while customers should also know what is required in order to be in with a chance of winning. Naturally, when you play pokies which are attached to a progressive jackpot, you also need to know how you can win more regular sums of cash along the way.
As you can see from our Real Money Pokies page, we have an extensive list of casino operators and they all have jackpot pokies available. We need to provide readers with the information when it comes to the maximum and minimum win they might expect if they landed the jackpot along with the frequency of when the big prize is landed. This can differ from a daily jackpot to one that rolls up over several weeks before someone lands the cash.
How Progressive Jackpots Work
There are different types of Progressive Jackpots and it’s important to know the difference so you can make the right decisions in terms of the progressive jackpot pokie which is going to appeal most to you. It’s firstly worth pointing out that many Progressive Jackpots are related to an online pokie game that is available across multiple New Zealand casino operator websites. That means you’re not only competing with customers from one particular casino for the prize.
It’s pretty common to be playing for a network jackpot such as Mega Moolah where a number of online casinos have paid software provider Microgaming to host the pokie on their website. The reason why the jackpot reaches such enormous amounts in a quick space of time is because casino customers from lots of different sites are making a contribution every time they log into their account and play the game.
However, there are also standalone Progressive Jackpots and a New Zealand casino will indicate to customers when they have jackpot pokies that can only be won by one of their customers. Naturally, you might have to accept that the prize at stake is smaller than a network casino jackpot, although it would still represent a huge casino win to most people and there’s naturally an increased chance of winning.
Whichever progressive pokie you choose, the jackpot will increase the more that customers play them, with a small percentage of each wager being set aside to contribute to the overall progressive jackpot. Usually players will have to place the maximum bet in order to be eligible to win the progressive jackpot. The more people that play them, the quicker the jackpot accumulates and it’s just a question of when the jackpot reaches that all-important tipping point before a customer walks away with the loot.
How the progressive jackpot is actually won depends on the game that’s being played, but it’s usually one of three methods:
- It could be completely random. One minute you are having a normal spin of the reels. The next minute you have just won a Progressive Jackpot.
- You actually need to get certain symbols in a combination across the paylines. It could be five bells in a straight line or a symbol related to the progressive pokie in question.
- A jackpot can be won through playing a bonus game. Virtually every New Zealand casino pokie has a bonus feature round and, if you qualify for the bonus feature, the Progressive Jackpot could be just a spin away.
Top Rated Online Pokies with Progressive Jackpots
- Mega Moolah | There are four different types of jackpots at this famous Microgaming pokie and the Mega Jackpot is the one that every customer wants to land. On average, this jackpot is won once every month, with this safari-themed pokie game having the reputation for paying out the biggest Progressive Jackpot amounts in the business. Customers also have the choice to play for smaller jackpot amounts by playing the Mini, the Minor and the Major where they stand a far better chance of coming away as a winner although Mega Moolah is where you can become a millionaire.
- Jackpot Giant | This is the leading Progressive Jackpot pokie game from software giant Playtech, with the theme naturally being a giant who is friendly enough to share out an enormous fortune on a regular basis. The pokie consists of five reels and three rows which amount to 50 fixed paylines, although it’s the first payline directly through the centre that players want to keep an eye on. If they manage to land five of the gold Wild symbols on this particular payline, they win the jackpot which regularly runs into the millions.
- Mega Fortune | Net Entertainment’s online pokie has three different types of jackpot and the Mega Jackpot is the one to make your dreams come true considering it averages around €4 million when the payout is triggered. Should you get tired of waiting for the money to land, you can also play for the sizeable Major jackpot or take your chance with the Rapid jackpot, with the Wheel of Fortune-style game requiring players to trigger the bonus game by getting three bonus wheels in a row.
- Major Millions | This is another smash hit Progressive Jackpot from Microgaming, with a character called the Major reliving former military escapades and you’ll find symbols like tanks, bombers and battleships featuring prominently. While the pokie jackpot averages a good deal lower than stablemate Mega Moolah when it’s triggered, you can still win hundreds of thousands by playing this exciting pokie game.
- Arabian Nights | NetEnt are behind this excellent creation, with Arabian Nights proving to be a highly popular Progressive Jackpot pokie which is really simple to play. This is a 10-payline pokie where the game’s Wild symbol is the Prince and the Scatter symbol is Aladdin’s Lamp, with the Progressive Jackpot being won any time a customer manages to get five Prince symbols in a row although you will need to play the maximum bet in order to land that eye-watering amount of money.
- Mega Fortune Dreams | Firstly, Net Entertainment brought us Mega Fortune and now there’s a sequel of sorts in the form of Mega Fortune Dreams. This is a really classy pokie where the symbols reflect the sort of lifestyle you might enjoy if you strike it rich with this Progressive Jackpot. The Wheel is the bonus symbol and you can reach the bonus game by getting three or more on reels 3, 4 and 5. You then need to get to the inner circle in the bonus round to land the Mega jackpot but there are two other jackpots available.
- Empire Fortune | Yggdrasil Gaming are a big hitter when it comes to providing online casino games and we recommend their leading Progressive Jackpot game which is a 20-reel progressive video pokie. There are three separate jackpots up for grabs and the biggest of these is the Empire Jackpot where you need to land the Joker symbol on the top level of the Jackpot Wheel. Smaller amounts can be won by playing for the Diamond Jackpot and the Gold Jackpot.
- Beach Life | Beach Life is a Progressive Jackpot pokie game that is available with many different casino operators. It has stood the test of time against some of the newer jackpot casino games, with this holiday-themed pokie having a sandcastle as the Scatter symbol and the Sun as the Wild symbol. If you manage to get five Wilds on the 20th line of this 5-reel 20-line pokie, then you have struck it rich and walk away with your very own Beach Life.
- Hall Of Gods | Software provider NetEnt are bang on the money with this long-standing progressive jackpot pokie which has a Norse Viking theme which has been captivating players for several years. Thor’s hammer is the Bonus symbol and it will activate the all-important bonus round if you manage to line up three or more symbols on lines 3, 4 or 5. When you’re in the bonus round, it’s your chance to land the gold and there are three different Progressive Jackpots to aim for.
- Joker Millions | This is an old-school retro-style pokie game brought to you by Yggdrasil Gaming and it has the standard 5 reels and 25 paylines. There are actually no Wild or Scatter symbols although Progressive Jackpot hunters are looking for a Jester symbol on each reel. This triggers the jackpot spin. Each Jester gets a mystery win up to 1,000 coins and 15 Jester symbols filling the screen mean that you have struck the Joker Millions Jackpot!
Are Progressive Jackpot Pokies Fair?
Yes. Naturally, any Progressive Jackpot that we feature at PokieSource.co.nz comes from a respected software provider and they’re regulated and licensed by the UK Gambling Commission or Malta Gaming Authority. That means they have to abide by the highest standards, although you have to appreciate that any customer’s chances of winning a Progressive Pokies Jackpot is clearly quite low due to the lottery-style nature of these games.
Online progressive jackpot pokies are tied to a Random Number Generator (RNG), which is designed to generate a sequence of numbers that is unpredictable, without a pattern that can be guessed or deduced. RNGs are constantly tested and verified, so players can rest assured that the game they’re playing is fair and that they have the same chance of winning as every other punter.
Can You Win a Progressive Jackpot on One Single Spin?
When it comes to the majority of Progressive Jackpot pokies, the answer is yes. After all, there has to be a spin that triggers the bonus round which usually provides the arena for all Progressive Jackpot wins. Please note that some pokie games require you to play for the maximum stake in order to qualify for a huge jackpot win, although the same games often have smaller jackpots which can be won by playing for lower stakes.
Throughout the years, we have seen new customers strike it rich with single spin wins and something really remarkable happened on 9 April 2015. On this date, an Isle of Man pokie player known as ‘Mark A.’ managed to win a progressive jackpot of £5,375,695.08, or around NZ$10,355,385, from his very first spin on the game! The beauty of playing Progressive Jackpot pokies is that even if you don’t land the huge prize, there is always the chance of winning smaller amounts.
Resetting Progressive Jackpots: What Happens When Someone Wins
When a Progressive Jackpot has been won at a certain pokie game, the counter is reset although it never goes back to zero. That is because there’s a minimum guaranteed win with the huge jackpots and sometimes this can be as big as NZ$1,000,000 which is still a fantastic amount of money to win. If you’re a regular player of a particular Progressive Jackpot pokie game, then you will notice when the big prize has been landed, especially if the amount is bulging at the seams and ripe for the taking!
There are usually press releases made by the software provider when a huge jackpot has been won, so look out for Playtech, Microgaming or NetEnt publishing details of the pokies jackpot being won as we all love to hear about it. Whichever casino operator was lucky enough to have that jackpot winner will also want to publicise that fact, while it doesn’t take long for the jackpot amount to start building up again.
Types of Progressive Jackpot Pokies
While all Progressive Jackpot Pokies have one thing in common (the fact that you can win a huge cash prize playing the game), they can also be split into four broad categories and this helps you understand which one appeals the most:
- 3D Pokies | These pokies combine sophisticated, high-end 3D graphics with bombastic soundtracks to offer an immersive and cinematic style of game. We especially love playing them because animated 3D characters interact with the player and the reels on a regular basis.
- Video Pokies | These are our personal favourite due to the fact that you actually get video footage that plays as part of the pokies experience. Games like Gladiator and Lord of the Rings actually bring the movie to life, while there are also elaborate ways of winning and that might include 50 paylines. The feature bonus rounds also differ from other pokies and they offer an all-round exciting experience.
- Classic Pokies | Mirroring the fruit machines of old, classic pokies often have three reels and one central payline. These are simple, quick and easy to understand, avoiding the complex paytables of the more advanced pokies. These are a good place to start if you’re new to playing pokies and they’re generally low-risk compared to other games.
- Mobile Pokies | Progressive jackpot games can also be played on mobile devices, such as smartphones or tablets whether that be iOS or Android. While they may take the form of a 3D or Video pokie, these mobile games are adapted to benefit from touch screen inputs, often making play faster and more exciting.
Do Free Spins Count Towards Progressive Jackpots?
If you’re talking about the Mega Jackpots that are mentioned in this article, then free spins will not count towards landing these Progressive Jackpots, although there are smaller prizes that can be won with a free spin. The main point is that free spins don’t add money to a Progressive Jackpot which generally excludes the customer from claiming the big prize. Some progressive jackpot free spins will allow players to trigger the bonus game although players will still have to wager in order to win the jackpot itself.
Do Other Casino Games Offer Progressive Jackpots?
The thrill of playing for a Progressive Jackpot means that software providers and casino operators have now diversified, allowing customers who play other games to potentially win a large bounty along the way. This might video poker, blackjack, baccarat and roulette. They all work on the same principle, where a small percentage of each player’s bet is added to a Progressive Jackpot, until one player manages to win it at random. You can generally tell when a casino game includes a jackpot as part of the overall experience.
Largest Progressive Pokies Jackpots Ever Won
Seeing is believing and we all love to hear about those amazing Progressive Jackpot wins. When the big prize hasn’t been scooped for a while, the winner is going to strike it really rich and here is a top ten of humungous jackpot wins over the past few years:
- €18,915,872.81 on Mega Moolah | History was made on 28 September 2018 when a Grand Mondial customer landed the biggest ever Progressive Jackpot to date. The customer wished to remain anonymous after the win, although they hit the jackpot with a 75 cent bet on an Android device, proving that any customer can win.
- €17,879,645.12 on Mega Moolah | British Lance Corporal Jon Heywood won this life-changing jackpot from a 25p bet in October 2015. Not only did he become a multi-millionaire overnight, but he also set the Guinness World Record for the biggest progressive jackpot win which has since been beaten.
- €17,861,800 on Mega Fortune | An anonymous 40-year-old man from Finland won the biggest payout ever from the Mega Fortune online progressive pokie in January 2013. This continues to be the largest amount ever won on this popular jackpot pokies game.
- €13,328,028.16 on Mega Moolah | On 30 January 2019, a Zodiac Casino player got the year off to a bang by landing this amazing jackpot. This was the third-highest payout in Microgaming’s history, with the cash being won through the world-renowned Mega Moolah which cemented its reputation for having the biggest jackpots.
- $16,495,060 on Mega Moolah | The biggest win of 2020 to date came when a Canadian customer scooped a huge jackpot win when playing at the Jackpot City Casino. This puts them in the top five of biggest Progressive Jackpot winners of all time.
- $13,617,374 on Mega Moolah | This Mega Moolah win came as recently as 8 May 2020 although it was the first Progressive Jackpot that had been won by a customer playing Atlantean Treasures: Mega Moolah, which was released on February 25. The customer was playing at the River Belle Casino and we’re likely to see more big money winners created this way.
- €11,736,375 on Mega Fortune | Net Entertainment’s progressive pokie certainly favours the Scandinavians, with a 20-year-old Norwegian collecting this huge jackpot win.
- €11,546,872.15 on Mega Moolah | There was an incredible story during March 2019 where Microgaming turned two customers into millionaires within 48 hours. It was the big win of €11,546,872.15 on 5 March that broke the records, with Casino Rewards boasting this customer as well as the smaller winner of €2,201,120.31 that occurred the next day.
- £9,411,049 on Jackpot Giant | The Jackpot Giant jackpot had been growing for two years and 39 weeks when it was finally won on 20 October 2018, with this being the biggest win in Playtech’s history.
- $11,633,898 on Mega Moolah | The Yako Casino claimed this big money winner on 5 November 2016, with Marcus Goodwin winning at a relatively new online casino running on the EveryMatrix platform.
How Progressive Jackpots Are Paid?
If you win a Progressive Jackpot that is part of a network, then you will get paid the winning amount all at once. The big winners listed above fall into that category as the software provider effectively stump up the cash that has been building up thanks to contributions from players all over the world when they play. You can expect to get the money wired to your bank account in a secure fashion.
However, if you win a standalone progressive jackpot with a particular operator, then it’s possible you might receive your money in monthly instalments depending on the amount you have won. There is a maximum payout with each operator, while there are terms and conditions that apply to each jackpot and it’s worth checking them out for further information before you play.
Playing Progressive Jackpot Pokies on Mobile
The biggest Progressive Jackpot winner of all time was playing on an Android device when they scooped €18,915,872.81 on Mega Moolah and the other interesting fact was that they were spinning for 75 cents at a time. Therefore, it goes to show that mobile casino customers can play for the same life-changing sums as anyone else, with all casinos having now fully optimised the pokies experience so that mobile customers can enjoy the games.
When playing online casino through your mobile device, you need to make sure that the mobile site or app is completely reliable as you don’t want the connection to drop when you reach the bonus round of a particular jackpot pokie game. Naturally, it’s also important that you have a strong personal connection either through Wi Fi or your mobile phone 3G / 4G / 5G signal.
Betting Maximum on Progressive Jackpots
Some Progressive Jackpot pokies will allow any customer to land the millions, although a pokie game such as Arabian Nights requires you to place the maximum bet when you spin the reels. Certain customers like this as they’re comfortable with that particular staking plan and know that the jackpot is more exclusive to them, although others would prefer to go elsewhere where they can place lower-risk bets and still qualify for the big prize.
One of the enduring reasons why Mega Moolah is so popular is that there are no “Bet Max” requirements in order to reach the bonus round and play for the Mega Jackpot, although Jackpot Giant does require you to bet NZ$ per spin in order to be eligible for the jackpot win. Please make sure that you understand how to win a jackpot before playing the latest pokie game.
Progressive Jackpot Pokie Software Developers
When it comes to the creation of Progressive Jackpot games, this is all about the software developer rather than the casino operator. While the latter love to publicise any big winners, the bottom line is that the source of the jackpot comes from the network which is created by a company such as Microgaming, Playtech or NetEnt.
These software providers are often called “The Big Three” and Microgaming clearly lead the way in this field when it comes to the biggest winners through Mega Moolah, although there are an increasing number of software companies who are providing the games for customers to win big and that includes Yggdrasil who have Empire Fortune and Joker Millions as two of their leading titles.
Progressive Jackpot Pokies New Zealand FAQs
Do all online casinos offer progressive jackpots?
- Every online casino that is regulated and licensed in the New Zealand will offer customers the chance to play for some type of progressive jackpot. Leading casinos naturally form partnerships with leading software providers which allows their customers to play for the biggest jackpots on each network, while many casinos also have standalone jackpots that have to be claimed by one of their customers.
What are the odds of actually winning progressive jackpot?
- As a general rule, the bigger the jackpot amount, the harder it is to win. When you play a casino pokie game, you can see something called a RTP (Return to Player) although because jackpots are paid out randomly, you can’t get an accurate RTP for a Progressive Jackpot. However, most casinos tend to list their most recent jackpot winners so that you can see the regularity with which thy are won.
Do progressive jackpots have higher RTP?
- When you visit an online casino, the pokies with the highest RTP are not linked to a progressive jackpot. You can either play pokies where there’s a stronger chance of winning a smaller amount or play jackpot pokies where the overall payout is generally lower although there’s the outside chance that you can strike it rich.
Can I play jackpot pokies for free?
- Every jackpot pokie game requires you to play for real money and some Progressive Jackpots can only be won when you play for the max bet each time.
What is the biggest ever progressive jackpot win?
- To date, the biggest ever progressive jackpot win is €18,915,872.81 which was claimed on Mega Moolah. This happened on 28 September 2018 although there’s a strong chance this will be surpassed very soon.
What is the most popular progressive jackpot ever?
- Mega Moolah is the progressive jackpot that boasts all the records and it remains the most popular as a result. Unlike some other jackpot pokies, it pays out the Mega Jackpot on a timely basis and there are also other jackpots that can be claimed at more regular intervals.
Are progressive jackpots available on mobile?
- Yes, most casinos are now mobile-optimised and the majority of customers now choose to play through mobile devices. Therefore, you can find the same progressive jackpots available whether you play through mobile or desktop.
Do I need to download software to pay progressive pokies?
- Gone are the times when online casinos required you to download their software to play. Instant play casino is now the norm and you can literally log into your account and start playing for a progressive jackpot within seconds.
Do I get all the money at once if I win a progressive jackpot pokie?
- If we’re talking about a network progressive jackpot, then you can get your hands on all the cash straight away. A standalone jackpot win might see you paid out in monthly instalments, although the smaller amounts mean that it won’t be long before you receive all your money.
Do I need to pay taxes on progressive jackpot pokies?
- This very much depends on your geographical location, although a big jackpot win could be subject to taxation by the government depending on their operating rules.
Should I only play Progressive pokies when the jackpot reaches a huge amount?
- This is a difficult one. The jackpot is randomly triggered so there’s realistically as much chance of it paying out at $1 million or $10 million, although customers will naturally be keener to play for the larger amount irrespective of the RNG factor.
How do I withdraw my progressive jackpot winnings?
- If you have won a seriously big amount of money on a progressive jackpot, then it will be the network provider that make contact with you and arrange the money to be transferred safely to your bank account. For smaller amounts, it might just be a case of withdrawing through your registered payment method on your online casino account.
What are Age of the Gods progressive jackpot pokies?
- Age of the Gods is a highly popular series of three pokie games which is brought to you by Playtech, with customers enjoying an ancient Greece-themed experience when they play this five reel, twenty payline pokie. If you land all 5 God symbols in any order on an active payline, you can win 200x your line bet, while any main game spin can trigger the Age of the Gods Mystery Jackpot. This multi-level progressive mini-game guarantees a win of 1 of 4 progressive jackpots. The series was created to compensate for the Marvel pokie series when it was discontinued in March 2017.